Thursday, July 10, 2003

I think it's time to look for a new job.

The school I've been working at for 2 1/2 of the last 3 1/2 years is getting cheap. A couple of years ago, I had 2 weeks paid vacation: one week at Chinese new year, and another in the summer. They also used to have a 4 day weekend in the spring, and they gave us "red envelopes" with money in them on 2 or 3 holidays. This year, Chinese new year was 4 days, and I just found out that there is no summer vacation.

I realize that it's primarily a day-care service, serving 3-7 year-olds, but still, it's got to be harder for a 4 year old to have 51 weeks of school than it is for the teachers who have to work there. What I can't believe is that all the Chinese staff who work there just heard the management decision to cancel vacation, and then they just bent over and took it. I'm also not entirely sure how cancelling vacation saves the school money. At any rate, they'll soon be saving some money by not having to pay me.

The only consolation with a job like this is that they know that reliable foreigners are hard to come by, so if I need a day, or a week, or a month off, I just tell them and they agree. Of course, it's not paid, but there aren't many jobs where you could miss a month and still come back to your job. Or, like the other foreigner that works there, take a day or an afternoon off once every week or two and not get fired.

Anyway, tonight, I'm going to find my resume, and update it. Shit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home