Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Help! Police!

In Taiwan, the police are a just another bunch of overworked bureaucrats. Which is why the only time they'll stop you for traffic violations is if that's their assignment at the moment. They won't drive around looking for trouble like the average American police officer.

And they also have the added advantage of not being good-ol-boys. Sure, they have plenty of corruption, but because most cops don't carry guns (they do carry a non-lethal weapon of some sort), they're not the sort of people who became cops so they could push people around.

I know more than a few foreigners who got stopped for traffic violations, and then waved along when the motorcycle helmet came off and the officer did a quick mental calculation of the effort he'd have to expend to explain the whole thing in his middle-school English. An American cop who pulled over a non-English speaking foreigner would probably have the whole family lying face down in the ditch while the dogs searched the car and the translator was brought in from the next state.

The best part is, everyone knows it. If they see a cop, they keep going with their illegal traffic manuever because they know he's not interested. When he's off-duty, he does the same thing.

1 Comments:

At October 27, 2004 at 11:26 PM, Blogger Chaon said...

About 5 years ago, I got busted for not wearing a helmet at the corner of Wen Hsin and Chung Kang Rds. The cop could not have been over 25 years old, and I played the fast garbled English card:
"I know I'm not wearing a helmet but I woke up late this morning and I was in a hurry and I left my helmet at home I had to get to work and I usually wear a helmet every day!"

His response: "Your helmet is at home?"

Me: "Yeah, it's at home."

Him: "Go get it."

I turned around and went home and got my helmet. I intentionaly drove past him with it on to show that I had gone home and got it, but he was already chewing out some housewife.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home