Saturday, May 03, 2003

Here's a way to imagine what Taiwan looks like on a Sunday:
1. Take a copy of the Sunday New York Times, or other equally gigantic newspaper.
2. Cut every bit of paper into dollar-bill sized pieces.
3. Put a table in your front yard, with fruit and incense on it.
4. Burn all the paper "money" in a metal trash can next to the table.
5. Imagine about half of your neighbors doing the same thing.

The paper that they burn as "spirit money" is very, very, extremely low-quality paper. I hope that makes it burn a little bit faster. I do know that it turns in to a pulpy mess when it gets wet. How do I know this? Because truckers also throw great big wads of it (imagine a bank-wrapped pack of 100's) out the windows of their trucks to appease the "road gods." I've run over many a wad of this paper driving in the "scooter lane" (i.e. shoulder). If they're trying to prevent accidents, I say keep your eyes on the road instead, and ask all your friends to stop burning paper because it makes for a pretty hazy day. But what do I know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home