Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Yesterday, my school played host to a small contingent of out-of-towners. They were from other kindergartens in other parts of the country. All afternoon, they walked around the school with their cameras out. They stopped and stared in my classes as I was teaching, 10 at a time.
I'm not a bad teacher, but something about having random strangers watch you do your job is a little disconcerting. It made me want to turn to them and say, "Fuck off! This isn't a free concert!" But from 4 inches away, I ignored them through the glass. Imagine a horde of Japanese tourists descending on a midwestern town and taking pictures of the gas station attendant. That's how I felt.
And, I have to wear a Santa hat, all day, every day until Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home