Monday, December 27, 2004

Crushed

I told my students last Thursday that I was not coming in on December 24th because I was the real Santa Claus, so I would be too busy to come to work and teach English. Despite my earlier assertion that Mommy and Daddy are really Santa, and despite my ongoing routine where I tell a big lie on Thursday morning, they believed this new information. It helped my credibility when all the other teachers played along. I told my students to ask anyone they liked, and everyone would say the same thing--That I am Santa Claus.

So imagine my students' disappointment when Christmas came and they got nothing. One girl said to me, "You lie. You are not Santa because I did not get a present." That's harsh. True, but harsh.

To salvage the situation, I explained that no, I am not really Santa, but I believe in Santa. And if you believe, then he's real. But, for him to come on Christmas, your parents have to believe, too. I told them that I still get presents from Santa (I do...my Mom sends them), and that my Mom still believes. I also pointed out that they all got a Christmas present from the school when we had our Christmas performance last week. This all helped a little, but I could tell they were still smarting from that meanest of life's lessons--that grownups suck.

I don't think any of them were too crushed. But somehow I imagine a few of my students sitting up on Christmas Eve waiting for a big jolly fat guy to bust in their door and hand them a present before flying away in a reindeer sleigh. A fat guy that looked...just...like...Teacher...Jason!!



p.s. For any concerned, the giant tsunami this week did not affect Taiwan.

4 Comments:

At December 31, 2004 at 4:06 PM, Blogger teahouse said...

Aww..those poor kids.

I heard that over there, everything is decorated Christmas - the department stores and everything. But few people actually celebrate it.

 
At November 25, 2005 at 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog Blogger. I was searching for information on personalized Christmas cards and came across your post this post - not quite what I was looking for related to personalized Christmas cards but very nice all the same!

We're all getting ready for Christmas and I've just put the finishing touches to my new site specially for kids, or rather their parents and relatives. You can go there and get Santa to send a really nice personalized letter to a youngster. It's great fun! If you have a moment, perhaps you'd enjoy taking a look: Letter from Santa .

Well, a merry Christmas to you and yours!

 
At December 11, 2005 at 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya ##NAME##, just thought I'd say great post titled ##TITLE##. I'm looking for ##LINK## and I ended up here accidentally but I will make sure I return soon. Looking for in addition will keep me busy for a few hours.

 
At December 14, 2005 at 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog Blogger. I was searching for information on personalized Christmas cards and came across your post this post - not quite what I was looking for related to personalized Christmas cards but very nice all the same!

We're all getting ready for Christmas and I've just put the finishing touches to my new site specially for kids, or rather their parents and relatives. You can go there and get Santa to send a really nice personalized letter to a youngster. It's great fun! If you have a moment, perhaps you'd enjoy taking a look: Letter from Santa .

Well, a merry Christmas to you and yours!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home