Sunday, January 02, 2005

Happy New Year

Isn't it great that these two holidays come so close together? The best part is, now that it's over, I'm not bitter about the lack of paid vacation. I took my personal vacation instead, not even realizing that I had any. The school gave me eight paid days off per year. I thought it was only 4, so I was keen to use my new found bonus. Chinese New Year is coming up, too. That's the real vacation. It will be interesting to see what happens when Tim's old friends come for a visit from Canada at that time.

I have been spending more time away from the computer lately. Watching the horrible but strangely compelling coverage of the incredible tsunami has kept me busy. I also took an afternoon road trip in to the mountains, and ended up seeing similar signs of destruction being repaired; the ongoing work due to massive infrastructure damage caused by this summer's typhoon flooding. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of disaster, but I do feel lucky to be clear of these kinds of life's dangers for another year. Welcome to 2005.


An odd and happy piece of news, I hope:

I believe, after reading the most recent correspondence with the appropriate government officials, that I will be granted permanent residency in Canada this year as Tim's common-law partner. This means that Tim and I will certainly have to move away from Taiwan, which does not break our hearts (though we love it here). Another whole adventure will soon begin, and now that it's moved from the realm of abstract paperwork to distinct possibility, I think I'm actually a little bit...excited...surprised...grateful...scared shitless...?

So. Today's discussion quesiton (More like this week's discussion question): What is a good line of work to get in to after 6 years of English teaching in Asia? Foodservice? Housekeeping? Telemarketing? Where to begin?

4 Comments:

At January 3, 2005 at 10:35 AM, Blogger teahouse said...

Yay, congrats on the permanent residency! When are you planning to return to the continent of North America?

I bet you could keep teaching English to immigrants when you return. There are lots of opportunities like that here in NYC; I'm guessing that wherever you end up in Canada will be the same.

 
At January 5, 2005 at 9:15 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

you could always start babysitting on saturday nights. parents usually let you have the run of the fridge.

 
At January 28, 2005 at 11:06 PM, Blogger Karl Richter said...

glad to hear you're coming back buddy... I started as a telemarketer.. I still remember the horrible interview.

the first question they asked us "do you know what verbatim means?" apparently the job was to read a script to whatever poor shmuch answered the phone. a successful 8 hour shift spent calling businesses was when one person filled out your survey.

groan.

now i make 80k as a consultant for a credit union. it'll be hard, but do-able. I never thanked you, but in your christmas card it really meant a lot to me that you said if I can make it back at home it gives you hope, too.

 
At February 5, 2005 at 2:49 PM, Blogger Animal Lover said...

We still need English teachers for the millions of students who do not speak English in our public schools in the U.S.. You may be able to obtain an alternative teaching certificate, based on your experience in Taiwan as an English teacher. Good Luck! I would say move here to Florida...but it will take you a year or two to get certified...then you have to take several examinations, etc., etc., etc., but they might let you teach while you are going through the process, if you have a degree of some kind. Again, good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home