Thursday, May 08, 2003

For just a split second today, I thought someone was going to kill me.

SARS has freaked out Taiwan. They take my temperature every day when I get to work, and also check all the students. They take my temperature twice in the hotel where I go to the gym. Once in the lobby, and once at the gym desk on the 15th floor. Everyone who works there is wearing a mask now.

The device they use to take temperature at the gym looks like a big Star Trek gun. Today, the gym lady whipped it out so fast, I thought for just a second that I was going to die, or at least have to give up my wallet. At any rate, it was good for a laugh in a country where no one's laughing much these days.

The WHO has told everyone to stay away. Not that they were coming in droves, anyway, but I hope it doesn't interfere with my planned vacation to the Philippines next month. I want to sit on a beach and get high for 7 days, and then maybe I'll deal better with Taiwan when I get back. Unless I get quarantined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home