Saturday, December 20, 2003

Fill 'er up!

I just went to the dentist this week. In Taiwan, there are dentists on practically every other block. I picked the one closest to my apartment. It turns out he didn't really speak English. And I thought going to the hair stylist was scary with my limited Chinese ability.
I haven't been to the dentist in over 6 years. But now that I have government health insurance, I decided it was time to go. Things have changed a lot since I last went. They can take live photos of your teeth. Imagine a toothbrush-shaped webcam. There was a flat-screen panel above the dentist's chair. I got to see all my cavities.
All 6 of them. (!) And now those pictures are saved on his hard drive.
He's going to fill my cavities in multiple visits. I'm not 100% sure about the quality of work I'm receiving, but the office was shiny and clean, and hey, it's cheap. It costs about 4 US dollars per visit. And there's very little waiting. my first visit was a walk-in, and he saw me after about 20 minutes. My next appointment to fill some cavities was made for the following day. I could have been finished today, but I decided I'm not going on the weekend.
And even though I am still apprehensive, I find myself thinking: Walk-in appointments? Next day dental work? Four dollars a visit? Evening service? Saturday service?
Someone back in the states has done something very wrong to mess up health-care the way they have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home