Thursday, May 15, 2003

A totally non-sars related complaint:

When I was a kid, HBO was new. It was cool. They showed R-rated movies. They cussed. They took off their clothes.
Here in Taiwan, HBO is on our cable service. It's not the same one as the states. Not only do they show lots of bad movies, but they're edited. They take out all the drug references, all the nudity, all the homosexuality, and most of the foul language. It's like watching network TV, but without the commercials. Also, all the shows that are making HBO so famous at home; i.e. The Sopranos, Oz, Six Feet Under, aren't even played here. They played the first season of Six Feet Under, but of course, since all they do in that show is get high, curse, and agonize about homosexual relationships, it wasn't very good. No wonder they didn't bring back the second season.

So, my question is, if I am a subscriber to HBO, and they are delivering a substandard product, am I justified in stealing the real thing from file-swappers?

And also, another ethical question, since my complaint is finished, am I justified in getting songs that I owned on cassettes? What about songs I've heard on the radio 100 times?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home